Welcome to Entoblitz 2017!!
This year’s Entoblitz will be held at a property in Robertson County right alongside the Brazos River. There will be multiple habitat types including sandy riverbanks, wooded areas, and open wildflower fields. Like last year’s Entoblitz, there is no formal program and attendees are responsible for bringing their own food, collecting equipment, and for making their own collecting plans. Attendees are also responsible for their own accomodations or for reserving spaces at nearby hotels; camping is allowed on the property and there are 3 recommended sites for camping. Dr. Brick has allowed the use of campfires on the property, but they must be maintained and monitored carefully.
There are also several refurbished sharecropper houses from when the property used to be a cotton plantation. These houses have working electricity and plumbing and will serve as places to charge electrical equipment and make use of restrooms in addition to the buildings near the front of the driveway.
Poison ivy is common in certain areas of Salter Research Farm, so be sure to be careful when trekking around in these areas. I recommend bringing some extra pairs of hiking clothes in the case you will be hiking through poison ivy areas, and lots of soap as it will minimize the effects of the oil poison ivy has.
When Using Google Maps: When using Google Maps, just enter “Salter Farm Road Calvert, TX”.
Directions when close: To get to Salter Research Farm, you need to drive north of Calvert on highway 6 to turn onto FM 2159. Follow FM 2159 until you reach Salter Farm Road, turn onto Salter Farm Road and follow it all the way to the end where you reach two gates. The gate to Salter Research Farm is on the right. Be sure to close the gate and re-lock it after unlocking to enter.
We have permission to collect any insects found on the property. If you are going to be using traps, make sure to bring out what you brought in.
Dr. Brick has requested that all visitors sign liability waivers, the link to which is posted below. We request that you respectfully agree to this stipulation if you would like to participate.
(Prices given as of February 26th, 2017)
- No hotels in the city of Calvert
- Budgetel Inn & Suites
- 1259 North Market Street, Hearne, TX, 77859 United States
- 4 miles (17 min drive) from site
- $69/ night
- Oak Tree Inn
- 1051 N Market St, Hearne, TX 77859
- 4 miles (17 min drive) from site
- Best Western Franklin Inn & Suites
- 790 W US Highway 79 Franklin, Texas 77856
- 9 miles (24 min drive)
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Hearne
- 1645 N Market St, Hearne, TX, 77859 United States
- 4 miles (17 min drive) to site
- $137/ night (Most expensive option)
- Best Western Marlin Inn & Suites
- 100 Fm Hwy 147, Marlin, TX, 76661 United States
- 3 miles (30 min drive) to site
- $90/ night
Below are just some options for food supplies and their addresses in two nearby towns.
Calvert (~7 miles from Salter Research Farm):
-Dairy Queen – 208 N Main St, Calvert, TX 77837
-Zorro’s Hideaway Food Train – 607 Main St, Calvert, TX 77837
-CocoaModa Restaurant & Chocolate Boutique – 518 Main St, Calvert, TX 77837
-Calvert Super Market – 107 Burnett St, Calvert, TX 77837
-J & J Grocery – 109 Main St, Calvert, TX 77837
-R B Food Mart – 801 Main St, Calvert, TX 77837
-Mike’s Country Store – 209 Main St, Calvert, TX 77837
Bremond (~13 miles from Salter Research Farm):
-Janet’s – 113 N Main St Bremond, TX 76629
-AAQ Wings – 108 E Jack St Bremond, TX 76629
-Kosse Café – 2610 Kosse St, Bremond, TX 76629
-Groholski’s – 303 E Jack St, Bremond, TX 76629
-Laredo Tex-Mex – 205-207 W Jack St, Bremond, TX 76629
-Bremond Kwik Stop – 306 W Titus St, Bremond, TX 76629
-Spring Time Stop – 404 N Commerce St, Bremond, TX 76629
-Citgo – 301 E Collins St, Bremond, TX 76629
Attention – Texas A&M University Students: Before Attending This Event, You Must . . .
- All TAMU students attending must fill out a Student Waiver Form, print it, and give it to Felicita (follow the instructions on the form and if you have questions, please contact Felicita in Room 412D, 979-845-9741): http://bug.tamu.edu/intranet/pdf/student_waiver_form.pdf
- All TAMU students attending must also fill out a “For Individual Student Travel” form. Once you fill it out, you will be sent a copy via e-mail, which you should forward to Felicita: https://stuactonline.tamu.edu/app/form_travel/index
We need to know who is going and how many to expect, so plase RSVP by e-mailing Ryan Selking at Optimus1@tamu.edu
-The Texas A&M University Insect Collection (TAMUIC): Karen Wright and Ed Riley
-TAMU Entomology Graduate Student Organization (EGSO): Ryan Selking
-TAMU Undergraduate Entomology Student Organization (UESO): Shelby Kilpatrick and Tiffany Le-Ngoc